Oct 1, 2008

No Smoking in India

Great Move. Health minister, Anbumani Ramadoss's persistence has resulted in the law being truly implemented, all over India. As he said, in the democratic India when 90% of people are non-smokers, the other 10% must accept the public pressure and abide by the law. He is right.

Smokers who would protest against the ban, if sent to California or UK, will they ever dare to disobey the State's law there? Like Dr Kalam had pointed out, we Indians may spit just anywhere on the streets or walls or even in some corridors but the same people will never dare to spit in Singapore. There are some well known personalities who are already cribbing about this law. Whatever illogical justifications (like separate smoking cabins in the flights! If not inside the flight can you go out to smoke?) these personalities seem to justify their own lifestyles which they cannot change. It is their problem, not that of 90% others.
"I’ve been a heavy smoker for years, and even when I still lit my 25 Camels a day, I though it was a good idea to ban smoking from public places and from bars and restaurants." - Blogger on Ban of Smoking in Denmark
In effect, at some point of time, hoping certain percentage of smokers give up on smoking, the cigarette manufacturers lose revenue. Companies like ITC may lose its share value. The government however, probably, cannot close down those companies. It becomes inevitable if this ban is strictly implemented.

Public response must be good. Everyone must co-operate, including smokers who are arrogant.

No comments: